Master of Arts degree in Teacher Leadership
This degree is designed for teachers who love to teach and want to be innovators
who energize and motivate their peers. Teacher leaders want to continue their
professional development and personal growth and are often sought out to lead
curriculum development, advance to program directors, or become department
- 33 credit hours
- Taught completely online or as a hybrid of online and face-to-face classes at
- Offered in partnership with ASCD and includes ASCD professional development
ASCD is the global leader in developing and delivering innovative programs,
products, and services that empower educators to support the success of each
learner. With 160,000 members, including superintendents, principals, teachers,
professors, and advocates from more than 140 countries, the ASCD community also
consists of 58 affiliate organizations. The nonprofit’s diverse, nonpartisan
membership is its greatest strength, projecting a powerful, unified voice to
decision makers around the world.
- Applicants must have a valid teaching certificate and/or three years of
experience working in an educational setting.
- Regular admission in the program requires an undergraduate grade point
average of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale. Applicants with a GPA below 2.5 will
not be considered for admission to this program.
- A maximum of 9 hours taken before signing the Authorization of Degree form
may be counted toward the program. Students must earn a B- or better in each
graded course within the 9 previous hours taken.
- Two letters of recommendation on organizational letterhead must be
received from individuals who can attest to the applicant’s potential for
graduate study and effective teacher leadership.
- A portfolio is also required for admission. Requirements for portfolio are
- EDL 600 Research in Educational Leadership
- EDL 650 Professional Studies: Special Topics
- EDL 651 Program Review and Evaluation
- EDL 660 Principles of Educational Administration
- EDL 690 Administration of Elementary School Curriculum
- EDL 692 Administration of Secondary School Curriculum
- EDL 765 Organizational Change in Educational Institutions
- EDL 773 Instructional Supervision for Educational Leaders
- EDU 590/SPE 510 Advanced Technology in Education
- EDU 613/MLE 613 Current Educational Issues
Capstone Experience (6 hours)
Students will meet Plan B requirements by completing a Professional Portfolio
that consists of additional evidence of significant scholarship and ability
relating to competence in teacher leadership. Materials for the portfolio will
be complied throughout the program and will be submitted and assessed during EDL
- EDL 698 Master’s Colloquium
- EDL 699 Leadership Internship
Where Is This Offered?
View Tuition & Fees